Sunday, October 20, 2013

Playlist of My Life #3



Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes
“But Greg, I don’t WANT to listen to this!” I said in my whiny 15 year old voice. My brother, Greg, and I were stuck in a moving truck with our dog, Abby, while our dad was driving another moving truck, and our mom was driving our van with our little brother for the next 3 days. Greg, Abby, and I would be stuck in the truck, moving all of our worldly possessions from Texas to “The Peg”. For those three days, I was forced to listen to The White Stripes, because, as Greg said, “I’m the driver, you’re not, so I get to pick the music!” I actually really like The White Stripes now, but as a 15 year old, they were “not my cup of tea”. When I think about this memory, I have mixed emotions. I was excited, at the time, to move back to Canada, but I often miss Texas. If I could change one thing about this time, I would probably change how I felt about Texas. Leading up to the move, I couldn’t wait to get out of Texas. Looking back, I miss my friends, my teachers, and many other things about Texas.
The “so what” of Seven Nation Army is this: If you truly believe in something, you will fight for it as long as it takes and as hard as you have to. “I’m gonna fight ‘em off. A seven nation army couldn’t hold me back.” These lines of the song talk about not being held back, fighting “’em off” in order to stand up for what you believe, what you feel is right. This fits into my life experience because many people don’t agree with many things that I believe. I believe that abortion is wrong, it’s murder. I believe that Christ died and rose again to save my soul. “That ain’t what you wanna hear, but that’s what I’ll do.” This line talks about how people don’t want to hear it, people don’t want to hear about Jesus because they just want to keep on doing what they feel like doing. No one wants to be told that they’re wrong or that they’re sinful, but it’s the truth. We have all sinned, we’ve all fallen short of God’s glory, but that’s why He sent His Son- to rescue us from our sins! The most powerful lines in this song are, “I’m bleeding, and I’m bleeding, and I’m bleeding, right before the Lord.” This line is easily connected to Christ’s death on the cross. God had to forsake His Son and let Him die so that our sins could be paid for. Jesus died to save us from our sins!

No comments:

Post a Comment