Sunday, October 20, 2013

Playlist of My Life #2

Getting Into You by Relient K
It was a cool summer night. There was a slight breeze, cooling us off after tossing a football around. A couple of the guys had started a bonfire. Everyone gathered around the fire, sitting on home-made benches and lawn chairs. Someone passed around supplies for s’mores while a couple of the guys got their guitars out. We sang worship songs for quite some time before people started to leave. It was a Sunday, so most people had to get up early for work the next day. My brother and I, however, did not, so we stayed a little bit later than most.
My brother went to talk to some of his friends before leaving, so I stayed near the fire. Still being the most awkward, quiet person ever, I didn’t go talk to anyone. While I was sitting by the fire, I heard one of my ‘now-friend, then-assumed-enemy’s talking to one of my brother’s friends, “Tyler, play “Getting Into You” on guitar!” Tyler really liked this girl, so he did. He had a great voice, so she asked him to sing it too. Surprisingly, he refused. Later that summer, Tyler and I “liked” each other. Truth be told, I really can’t stand to listen to this song anymore. If I could change one thing about this whole summer, I would probably choose not to like Tyler, or anyone for that matter. It just ruined friendships that I can’t fix no matter how hard I try.
The “so what” of this song is living for God. Many people take it as if Matt Theissen (lead singer of Relient K) is singing to a girl, but if you really look at the lyrics, you can see that he’s singing about, almost to, God. “I’ve been a liar, and I’ll never amount to the kind of person You deserve to worship You.  You say You will not dwell on what I did, but rather what I do. You say, “I love you, and that’s what you are getting yourself into””. At the time, I was barely 15. I didn’t know what the lyrics really were, I didn’t understand what they meant, and I don’t think that I really cared. I thought that I was going to marry this guy. Stupid, right? The most powerful line of this song is, “When I made up my mind, and my heart along with that, to live not for myself, but yet for God, somebody said, ‘Do you know what you are getting yourself into?’” because living for God and not just for myself is really important to me, even though it’s hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment