Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Imagery- Writing Prompts

#784
five-dollar island
                                                   http://writingprompts.tumblr.com/

      "There it is, finally. Our island. Our very own island," I thought to myself as my brother and I rode the ship with a few of our friends to see it for the first time. The fog made everything look mysterious, beautiful. I was the only one on deck at this point, probably because the sun had only just started to come up. A mist of salty water sprayed my face and I laughed- it was such a beautiful morning! As the golden sun started to peak over our island, the four others trickled up the stairs like a dwindling stream. "How much did you guys pay for this nice slab of land?" my brother's jock of a friend asked. My brother, Greg, looked at me awkwardly. "Five shmuuuuhmzz," Greg mumbled. "How much??" his friend asked. "Five bucks," I stated bluntly. Everyone turned to look at Greg and I. "Excuse me?" my friend, Justice squeaked. For the next ten minutes everyone gave their ideas about why someone would sell an island for only five dollars. Justice automatically jumped to the conclusion of it being a scam and Nathan figured that it was some top secret research facility that had gone under. Mel expected that it had something to do with aliens and the taking over of peoples' brains.
      "We'll be landing in five minutes, so get yer gear together!" No one had noticed that the captain had come out onto the deck. The captain was a very strange man. He had about half the amount of teeth as the average adult male and had a scraggly gray beard that went half way down his chest. The captain also had a pet parrot. Basically, he made us feel as though we were in an old pirate movie, minus the crew and cliche pirate ship.
     "See ya!" Greg's jock friend, Nathan, shouted as the captain sailed away. We all shouldered our packs and started up the slight hill. There were a few larger rocks here and there, but nothing that would make me describe the shore as anything cliff-related. Mel hadn't taken into account that we would have to walk on "actual ground", so she only had flip-flops. "Oww! These stupid rocks keep poking through my sandals and are just, overall, too pointy. My feet are NOT happy." Mel was not impressed. As we neared the top of the hill, the scent of burning flesh hit my nose like a semi truck. I glanced at  the rest of the group, wondering if my companions had smelled it too. "Guys, do you-" I was interrupted when a wild-eyed, crazy-haired boy suddenly erupted from the trees. He held a log that was roughly the size of a baseball bat. He ran up to me and before I knew it, my head had met said log.


     I woke up yesterday, not knowing where I was. Apparently, I was out cold for a week. They told me that if I ever wanted to see my brother alive again, I would do exactly what they told me to do. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. They have total control, or at least they say they do. They aren't who I would expect to be taken captive by. I thought they were my friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment