Friday, November 22, 2013

10,000 Reasons -Rough Draft

"10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord)"





It was a regular Thursday afternoon at South East High School. I sat next to my only friend, Jane, in the back of our English class. We were both finished our work, so we had free time to read.  Half of the lights were off, creating the perfect "cozy day" atmosphere.
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
I didn't have my assigned book, so I took out my Bible to catch up on my reading plan. Jane thought I was a "Bible Freak", but she didn't really care too much about it and would even let me share the Gospel with her sometimes
It's time to sing Your song again
Without warning, one of the secretary's voices came on over the intercom. "We are in a lock-down situation. This is NOT a drill. Repeat: This is NOT a drill!" Her words were laced with fear, which soaked deep into our souls as we heard her speak those words. 
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Before our English teacher could reach the door to lock it, three masked figures appeared on the threshold.
Let me be singing when the evening comes

Our teacher stopped, frozen with terror, at the sight of the trio. The obvious leader stepped inside of the classroom, followed by his two submissive partners.
You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
The leader walked to the middle of the room before removing a pistol from within his coat. He aimed upward and demolished a few ceiling tiles with a loud bang. "Who here loves Jesus?!!" He yelled.
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
After a quick look at all of my classmates, I sheepishly put up my hand, not wanting to know why this masked man was asking this. The man walked passed two rows of desks to get to me. He stood much too close to me, as if he might kiss me, or choke me with his bare hand. I could smell the cologne he was wearing, something spicy, yet sweet at the same time.  
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
"My name is Declan and I'm going to kill you unless you deny that loser that got crucified. Get on your knees." I didn't hesitate to get onto my knees, but I knew that I could never tell people that Jesus didn't die to pay for our sins. I looked into the bright blue eyes that were surrounded by the black plastic of the mask that their owner wore. "Why are you doing this?" I pleaded with those eyes. "I have to rid the world of scum like you, Jesus Freak." 
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find

I stared down the barrel of the gun, not willing to deny what Christ had done for me, or my love for Him.
And on that day when my strength is failing
I thought about my parents and about the upbringing that I had had. My parents had taught me to stand up for what was right, to never back down from the truth, to love and to show the love of Christ to all.
The end draws near and my time has come
I thought about my brothers and all of the good times that we had had. I thought about my young nephew that I would never get to hold again. I thought about my future husband that I would never get to meet.
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
I heard 3 gunshots before slipping into perfect peace.
Ten thousand years and then forevermore








Inspired by:Columbine Student:Cassie Bernall, Matt Redman's 10,000 Reasons, The Lovely Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment